Between changing Au Pair families, adjusting to a new home and job, and getting to know the kids, a few exciting things have happened in my life OUTSIDE of being an Au Pair that I thought I’d share. (didn’t mean to rhyme..)
1. I spent a glorious day alone in Munich. It was the day after I finished with my old family and before I started with my new, and Biggi offered me a free ride into the city to explore while she worked. I’ve been to Munich on two other occasions before I moved to Germany, but it was my first time heading in since I’ve been a Deutscher resident. I had a glorious day doing whatever I wanted, which included: drinking Starbucks (no S*bux in the Aschau area), shopping (bought a new pair of shoes and new jacket- I have to start looking more European…), aimlessly wandering with no agenda, and most importantly, indulging in some Mexican food. Now it goes without saying it wasn’t that great.. but after 5 weeks without any trace of it, I was ready for any kind of meat wrapped in a tortilla with chips and salsa on the side. It definitely satisfied.
2. I went to my first club since I have lived here. I’ve been to all the bars in the surrounding towns, but last Saturday night, my friends and I went to Eiskeller, the disko in Aschau. I can actually walk to it from my new house. It’s apparently the “best disko between Munich and Salzburg”. I believe it. We had a great time dancing the night away. I’m not a huge clubber- I’d much rather hang out at a chill bar where I can sit at a table with my friends and actually hear them talk as we have a casual beer, BUT the occasional night of dancing is always fun.
3. I drink coffee now! Well- coffee drinks. I started before I moved here with easy things like Mochas, where it’s more of a hot chocolate with some coffee in it. Well, here in Germany, I have yet to find a Mocha (other than Starbucks- which like I said, is not in Aschau/Prien/Rosenheim), so when its freezing outside and I want to drink something hot I was forced to start trying other options. I now happily will drink a cappuccino, latte, macchiato.. you name it! We have a cappuccino maker at my house so I’ve been making one every day! I feel like such a grown up.
4. I finally went skiing! I’ve been dying to go. I’ve been living IN the Alps for almost 6 weeks now and still had yet to go- until Thursday. I’ve been skiing my whole life, usually once or twice a year in Colorado mostly, but in the past 2 years I haven’t been able to go- so I was stoked. Biggi and I just went up to Sachrang (15 minutes up the road) while Kaya had his ski lesson. I was able to rent boots/skis for 12euros for a couple hours. It felt great to get back out there and I can’t wait to go again soon. The season will be over in a few weeks so I have to take advantage of that!
5. I recorded back up vocals for my friend Christian’s band’s CD. So random, right? Michaela and I went to their studio just to watch them and hang out a bit. It was their last day of about 3 months total of recording and they were adding finishing touches to songs. They randomly asked me if I could sing because they wanted a female voice singing the chorus on a couple songs- so I gave it a shot! I didn’t know the songs at all, but they write their lyrics in English and I listened to them a few times… then just went for it. It was so much fun! It was also awesome to see how the whole recording process works; it’s so tedious having to do one instrument/vocal track at a time and getting each one perfect! Look out for Milton‘s new CD- I’ll let y’all know when it’s released!
It’s been a fun and exciting week in all aspects! And this week will not disappoint either… tomorrow morning I’m taking the train up to Hamburg and will be spending a couple of days exploring the city! Can’t wait to come back and tell y’all how it was. Be on the lookout for a Hamburg post in a few days!
and of course I just can’t get sick of my balcony view…